To spend your life living in fear, never exploring your dreams, is cruel.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Social Eastern Jaunt



This week hasn't been a good one for Bangkok. I used to live in Singapore, and Bangkok remains almost a second home for me. The huge shopping center Central World has gone, including the brilliant SF World Cinema on the top floor. And 100 or so lives have been lost. I was watching an orchestra in Bangkok's Lumpini Park a few months ago, where the compere expressed his hopes that previous problems were behind them. But this was unlikely; the success of the yellow shirt airport protest would always create greater problems for the future. Bangkok depends largely on tourism, and it will be going through more tough times for at least the next year or two.

People are the most important thing, and with this in mind I headed out on a free Sunday for a rare group ride. It was a learner's group ride to the East of Melbourne, including the Black Spur and a ride up to the alpine resort of Lake Mountain; the last opportunity for this season as winter closes in. An enjoyable day was had by all, and it was good to catch up with those that I don't see so much these days. I took my turn as the tail rider coming back through the Black Spur; riding behind the learners was interesting, being reminded of what I went through when I was learning. And I gained some perverse pleasure watching the long queue of cars backing up behind me. Revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment